From a free family fun day, to a waffle breakfast, to Love & Chocolates, there's a lot happening in Southern Manitoba this week.
Monday, June 12
- A community conversation on mental health is taking place from 10am to noon at Emerson New Horizon Hall. This is a free session thanks to the Healthy Together Now Grant.
- Registration ends this day for Red River Recreation's introduction to kayaking course happening on Friday, June 17th from 5 to 8pm at Prairie Oak Campground. Cost is $50 per person and kayaks will be provided. Space is limited so contact Red River Recreation to reserve your spot.
Wednesday, June 14
- Walk for Alzheimer’s is taking place at Altona Eastview Place beginning at 10am. Another walk is being held June 14th at Winkler Salem Home beginning at 10:15.
- Altona Health Care Auxiliary is celebrating its 70th anniversary with a come and go appreciation tea from 2 to 3:30pm. It is being held at the Rhineland Car showroom on Main Street.
- Altona is celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday with a day of free family fun. There are 50 spots available for the free painting class so contact Altona Rec Office to save your place. The festivities start at 1 pm with local students singing O Canada. There will be storytelling with multicultural pavilions, free swimming, band and choir performances, a book launch, free supper, and the evening ends with a burial of the 2017 time capsule.
- Help local children to summer camp by attending the “Chance 2 Camp” barbeque from 11:30 to 1:30, at the Child and Family Services office on Railway Avenue. They will be serving sausage burgers, hot dogs, chips, and homemade dessert.
- Wednesdays over the summer (June 7 – September 27) the Altona Youth for Christ is having a barbeque lunch from 11:30 to 1 at Domo on Centre Avenue. Cost is $5 and all proceeds support YFC The Station. You can pay with cash, cheque, debit or credit card.
Thursday, June 15
- Walk for Alzheimer’s is taking place at Carman Boyne Lodge. Registration is at 5:30 and the walk is at 6 followed by a barbeque and short program. This is the 25th anniversary for the walk in Carman.
- Concerts in the Park are happening from 6 to 8pm at Bethel Heritage Park in Winkler. The Quonset Brothers featuring past Made in Manitoba guest Mark Fehr will take the stage, as well as one the best Elvis impersonators in the country, Corny Rempel.
- Winkler Senior Centre is hosting a waffle breakfast from 9am till noon. Cost is $7.50 for Belgian waffles, with sauce, fruit, whipped cream and coffee. This is also World Elder Abuse awareness day, and a free information session will be held at 2 o’clock.
Friday, June 16
- Pembina Valley Childcare Centre in Morden is hosting a fundraising barbeque lunch and Fun Fair from 11 to 1. Cost is by donation.
Saturday, June 17
- The 3rd annual Paddlefest is happening at Colert Beach and Lake Minnewasta Campground. Here is your chance to try a variety of paddling sports including dragonboat, stand up paddleboards, and kayaking. Bring a life jacket if you have one. Equipment and PFDs will be available for use free of charge, or take a class for a minimal fee. Call 204-822-5431 for more details.
- The “Love and Chocolates” couples event with Phil Callaway is planned for 7 o’clock at Winkler EMMC. Phil will encourage, inspire and of course, make you laugh as you continue to build your marriage. Tickets are $30 per couple which includes coffee and dessert. Call the church office for tickets. It is rush seating and doors will open at 6:30.
Sunday, June 18 – FATHER’S DAY
- Concert in Altona Park is planned from 2 to 6pm. Laugh Again's Phil Callaway will have us rolling out of our lawn chairs with laughter and inspirational reflection, followed by Jayme Giesbrecht who will be sharing songs from her debut album “To Keep You from Falling” among other fan favourites. Past Made in Manitoba guests Don Amero and Sierra Noble will also be performing.