chvnradio.com

Now Playing What just played?

THE COLOR

ONE SURE THING

Listen Live

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) is warning the public again after three people were hospitalized Sunday, Nov. 12 due to carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The three people are in hospital in stable condition. 

The WFPS says emergency personnel were responding to a medical call on Garfield St. when they entered the home and found a dangerously high level of carbon monoxide. 

"They got a reading in excess of 1,000 parts per million," said WFPS Assistant Chief, Mark Reshaur. "That can have a very significant impact on your health. Within an hour you can be experiencing severe headaches and convulsions." 

Fire officials say the build up in the home was due to a gas-powered generator being operated in the house. The WFPS says that level of carbon monoxide in a confined space could cause death in less than an hour. 

With the weather getting colder, the WFPS is reminding the public to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide, and is encouraging people to buy a carbon monoxide alarm. 

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas and you can't detect it on your own," Reshaur said. "You need a minimum of one alarm installed immediately outside of your sleeping area so that it will wake you at night when you're most vulnerable, but we do encourage people to install at least one on every level of their home." 

Carbon monoxide symptoms often mimic those of the flu, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision or hearing impairment and shortness of breath. Reshaur says if not treated long enough it can also lead to convulsions, unconsciousness and possibly death. 

Reshaur says the WFPS has a few additional tips to preventing carbon monoxide poisoning, including: 

  • Have fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, wood-burning fireplaces and gas dryers cleaned and checked annually by a qualified service technician.
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm on all levels of your home and outside each sleeping area.
  • Never idle vehicles in an attached garage even if the garage door is open.
  • Ensure that all fresh air intake vents, exhaust vents and chimneys are clear of snow, insulation, leaves, bird nests, lint or debris.
  • Make sure wood and coal-burning stoves are properly installed and vented.
  • Don’t operate gasoline-powered engines, charcoal or propane barbecue/grills, or kerosene stoves in closed spaces or indoors.
  • Check forced air fans for proper ventilation.
Reshaur says you can buy carbon monoxide alarms at any major hardware store. He says it's important to get one that is certified under Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada (ULC) or the Canadian Standards Association. (CSA)
 

Share this story!

Default Image

MMF hosts Metis Sixties Scoop survivors

Metis people from across the country who were taken from their homes during the Sixties…

Blown away: high winds sweep through southern Manitoba

Environment Canada says that high winds with the potential to cause damage rushed through…

Winnipeggers take advantage of advance voting as election nears

A record number of Winnipeg voters are getting ahead of the game for the 2018 Municipal…

Hundreds try to make the cut at CPL tryouts in Winnipeg

Tryouts continue in Winnipeg as athletes look to make join one of the Canadian Premier…

Manitoba author Terrie Todd recognized again for novels

Christian author Terrie Todd has picked up yet another award for her writing, and says…

WATCH: Paul Baloche performs a worship medley live at CHVN

Paul Baloche and Brian Doerksen are hosting a weekend of worship in Winnipeg. Paul…

Meth crisis overwhelms West Broadway ministry

Staff and volunteers of a Winnipeg organization have run out of ideas as they deal with…

Founder of Little Free Library, Todd Bol, dies at 62

The man who sparked a worldwide reading and book sharing movement in neighbourhoods has…

Altona YFC hopes to reopen soon

Repairs continue at YFC: The Station in Altona after a flood over the Labour Day long…

Busy street closed over weekend beginning tonight

Your weekend shopping and errands activities over the weekend could include a big detour.

RWB advocates for increased funding for budding artists

Two representatives with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet appeared in front of the House of…

Portage family to hold vigil on 10th anniversary of woman's disappearance

A candlelight vigil is being held in Portage la Prairie for a local woman who disappeared…

Diabetes and cancer treatments among drugs added to Pharmacare

More medications have been added to the Manitoba Pharmacare Program.

Allegedly stoned driver pulled over in Thompson

After Winnipeg Police handed out its first post-legalization ticket for consuming…

Further review for Keeyask and Bipole III

The Manitoba government is paying for a review into two controversial Manitoba Hydro…

Teens charged in separate school incidents

A 14-year-old has been charged with public mischief and uttering threats after a bomb…

Wolseley neighbourhood watch keeps residents safe

A group of concerned residents in Wolseley are working together to create a safer…

PRAY: Christian mother Asia Bibi remains on death row

A Christian mother is reaching out to fellow believers and asking for prayer as she…

Summer returns on Thursday

After the temperatures we've seen lately, Thursday's going to feel like beach weather in…

Marijuana now being sold legally in Canada

There've been line-ups all day of people looking to buy marijuana legally for first time.