The Winnipeg Police Service has arrested a Winnipeg man with numerous offences including drug and weapon charges.
On January 29, 2023, at approximately 12:27 a.m., a North District Community Support unit observed a known wanted male driving an SUV in the 100 block of Alfred Avenue.
The police unit pulled in front of the SUV with emergency lighting activated in an attempt to stop it. The driver immediately tried to reverse but could not put the vehicle in gear, causing the engine to rev at a high RPM.
Officers exited their vehicle and gave numerous loud commands to the driver. However, he placed the SUV in drive and accelerated toward them – causing both police members to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. The driver then collided with a nearby tree and fled on foot.
The male was chased through the snow, and during the foot pursuit, he discarded an item – later found to be a BB air pistol designed to look like a Taurus PT92 handgun. Officers caught up to the male near the Harry Lazarenko (Redwood) Bridge, at which time he became combative and resisted arrest. After a short struggle, officers were able to gain control and take him into custody.
A search of the male and SUV resulted in the seizure of approximately 2 ounces of methamphetamine (estimated street value of $1,200) and $4,590 in Canadian currency.
Eric Dale Ross, a 35-year-old male, has been charged with:
- Assault a Peace Officer with a Weapon (x2)
- Possession of a Weapon
- Resist Peace Officer
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order (x3)
- Operation of a Conveyance While Prohibited by Order Under Criminal Code
- Fail to Comply with Condition of Release Order (x5)
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order
He was detained.