Manitoba Hydro workers are having a busy day as two gas leaks occurred within an hour of each other Tuesday morning.

Just after rush hour in the 1800 block of King Edward Street Tuesday morning, Manitoba Hydro was on the scene of a major natural gas leak. The City of Winnipeg says readings were found to be at high levels when they arrived.

At 9:52 a.m., the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) arrived and one commercial building was precautiously evacuated. Evacuees were rounded into a Winnipeg Transit bus for shelters. There were no injuries.

Police were called to the scene to direct traffic as a long stretch of King Edward Street was required to close.

WFPS crews left the scene at 11:30 a.m., but southbound King Edward Street between Logan Avenue and Pacific Avenue remains closed. 

The city says the gas is safely ventilating into the atmosphere.

Later in the morning, at 10:54 a.m., crews were called to a single-family home in the 600 block of Rathgar Avenue. The city says the escaping gas could be heard coming from the evacuated area. Three neighbouring homes were also evacuated.

Manitoba Hydro arrived and is now fixing the leak.

The city is reminding residents of some common signs of gas leaks and prevention methods:

  • Signs of a natural gas leak include rotten egg smell, bubbles in a ditch or waterway, dirt being blown into the air, distinct patches of dead or discoloured vegetation, or a loud hissing noise.
  • If you suspect a natural gas leak, leave the area immediately and call 911, even if you think it’s minor.
  • Natural gas is flammable. Do not smoke, light matches or lighters, operate electrical switches, appliances, phones, vehicles or create any other source of ignition or sparks anywhere near a gas leak.
  • Ensure you have a home escape plan and that all members of your household are familiar with it.