During November 2023, continued community concerns were brought to the attention of the Winnipeg Police Service. The North District Community Support Unit (CSU) began an investigation in November 2023 targeting several people suspected to be involved in the trafficking of illegal drugs in the Point Douglas area.
On the evening of November 16, Tactical Support Team (TST) members observed two suspects operating a vehicle at the intersection of Main Street and Portage Avenue. The TST executed a traffic stop, resulting in the arrest of two adult males without incident.
On November 17, with the assistance of North and West District CSU, North District General Patrol and the Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Unit, TST members executed a search warrant at a linked residence in North Point Douglas.
The search of the residence resulted in the seizure of the following property:
- Approximately $66,000 Combined Estimated Street Value of 400 Grams of Crack Cocaine and 730 Grams of Cocaine
- Approximately $8,100 Estimated Street Value of 770 Grams of Benzocaine Cutting Agent
- $430 Estimated Street Value of Oxycodone Prescription Pills x 54
- Approximately $600 CDN Currency
- Cell Phones
Two Winnipeg residents, a 23-year-old male, and a 33-year-old male, are facing the following charges:
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000
Both were released on Undertakings as mandated by the Criminal Code.