Catholic churches in Sri Lanka have told parishioners to stay home from services on the second Sunday of Easter.
#BREAKING Sri Lanka churches cancel Sunday services. "We have advised people to stay indoors & say their prayers with their families because...ISIS...have threatened to continue with these attacks indefinitely." Bishop Malcolm Ranjith #SriLanka #SriLankaAttacks #PrayForSriLanka pic.twitter.com/6yHuiOaNm2— George Thomas (@GTReporting) April 26, 2019
According to the Vatican News, the cancellation of Sunday Mass could last longer than just this week as fears of more attacks linger.
Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, Archbishop of Colombo, told journalists on Friday that church officials had seen a leaked security document describing Catholic churches and other denominations as a major target for attackers.
Ranjith said that people should stay home for their own safety.
"We don't want repetitions," Card. Ranjith said.
The death toll has come down over the past few days. The country's Health Minister now estimates the total number of dead to be around 253.
More than 70 people have been arrested over the last week.
Sri Lanka's defence secretary, Hemasiri Fernando, the top non-elected official at the department, announced his resignation on Thursday in response to intelligence failures, according to the BBC.