A small appliance is to blame in a fire that damaged a Southdale home Sunday morning.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to a fire in a two-storey home in the 100 block of Shamrock Drive.

Flames and smoke were pouring out of the home when crews arrived on scene. Firefighters attacked the fire from inside the house, and the blaze was under control by 12:20 p.m.

Everyone got out of the home safely. Paramedics assessed one patient, and transportation to the hospital was not required.

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental and caused by a small appliance. The damages to the home were contained to the fire area.

Fire officials continue to investigate.