Officials say a man in his 80s linked to the outbreak at St. Boniface Hospital has died of the virus.
Public health officials advise one additional death in a person with COVID-19 has been reported today:
• a male in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region and linked to the outbreak at St. Boniface Hospital unit 5B.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 5.9 per cent provincially and 4.3 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 76 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, one case has been removed due to a data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 75 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 31,007.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• five cases in Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 44 cases in the Northern health region;
• two cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• two cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 23 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.
The data also shows:
• 1,555 active cases and 28,576 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 89 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 142 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 231 hospitalizations;
• 15 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 13 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care for a total of 28 ICU patients; and
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 876.
Laboratory testing numbers show 1,143 tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 504,682.
Outbreaks have been declared at Valleyview Care Centre Long Term Care Home in Brandon and Health Science Centre GA5 and St. Boniface Hospital unit A6South, both in Winnipeg. The facilities have been moved to the Critical (Red) level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System.
Outbreaks have been declared over at St. Boniface Hospital unit B5 in Winnipeg and Pembina Manitou Health Centre and Personal Care Home in Manitou.