The province of Manitoba says they have discovered more COVID-19 variant cases in Winnipeg.
Public health officials advise two additional deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today, a male in his 70s from the Interlake–Eastern health region and a male in his 50s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Seven Oaks General Hospital Unit 3U 4-7.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is four per cent provincially and 3.2 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 64 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, eight cases have been removed due to data corrections. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 56 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 31,950.
Public health officials are announcing that one additional confirmed case as a result of the B.1.1.7 COVID-19 variant of concern first identified in the United Kingdom and two confirmed cases as a result of the B.1.351 COVID-19 variant of concern first identified in South Africa have been detected. The cases identified today are all from the Winnipeg health region.
Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
· three cases in Interlake–Eastern health region;
· 16 cases in the Northern health region;
· two cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
· seven cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
· 36 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
· 1,151 active cases and 29,901 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
· 69 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 118 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 187 hospitalizations;
· 11 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 14 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 25 ICU patients;
· the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 898; and
· the total number of confirmed variant of concern cases of B.1.1.7 is six and B.1.351 is two.
Laboratory testing numbers show 1,307 tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 527,932.
The outbreak at St. Boniface Hospital Unit A6 has been declared over.