A 35-year-old man has been arrested as yesterday the Winnipeg Police found a few weapons on his person, including a grenade.
On November 21, 2022, at approximately 1:00 a.m., members from the West District were patrolling the Weston neighbourhood when they observed a male walking down a back lane. He displayed the characteristics of an armed individual with an object protruding from his waistband.
Police took him into custody, and a blade within a sheath and a grenade were concealed in his clothing.
The area was cordoned off for safety precautions. The grenade was determined to be 'live' and was safely extracted and disposed of by the Bomb Unit. Since then, the unit has determined the device was non-viable.
Thirty-five-year-old Steven John Stevenson of Winnipeg was charged with the following offences:
- Possession of a Weapon x 2
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition x 2
- Fail to Comply with Release Order x 3
- Warrant for Fail to Comply with Probation Order
- Warrant for Fail to Attend Court
He was detained in custody.